World Gin Day is once again upon us this Saturday 10th June! Bars and distillers have been getting their heads together to educate, intoxicate and most of all, celebrate gin, and while you’re in the midst of a long weekend, why not give in? To help you about your day, I’ve found you some stunning events to cover you from Brunch to Nightcaps…Enjoy!
Looking for a special somewhere to take your honey this Valentines day? Well look no further! No matter if you’re into a cocktail flight, a bit of fine dining or a casual feast, Melbourne has something for you and your favourite person. Single? Not that into it? Completely disenchanted? We have things for you as well…Happy Tuesday Lovers!
- 1806 (169 Exhibition St, Melbourne) – The date night of all date nights, the pressure always mounts on Valentine’s Day. We all know the way to a heart is through the stomach, and nothing says ‘I love you’ more than a candlelit dinner for two at one of Melbourne’s most romantic Cocktail bars in 18o6. Be spoilt with flowers & Sparkling wine and sit back and enjoy our five course dinner with cocktails. Prices are $150 per person including complimentary sparkling wine. Book online here.
- Bistro Vue (430 Lt Collins St, Melbourne) – Join Bistro Vue for dinner, a 6 course degustation for just $190 per person with an optional wine match at $100 per person. Book by calling 9691 3838.
- Bomba (103 Lonsdale St, Melbourne) – Bomba are offering a set menu for Valentine’s Day this year with 4 courses dinner and is $65 a head and you can book by calling 9077 0451.
- Burma Lane (118 Little Collins Street, Melbourne) – Order the $79 or $89 banquets to enjoy with your loved one or group of friends and receive a complimentary glass of bubbles. To book, call 9615 8500.
- Eau De Vie (1 Malthouse Lane, Melbourne) – Valentine’s Day is a day to treat yourself and the ones you love. Eau-de-Vie’s intimate atmosphere creates the perfect ambience and setting for this special day. Valentine’s Day at Eau-de-Vie will be a sophisticated and elegant affair, celebrating love, friendship and family. Our exclusive Valentine’s Day dinner includes a beautiful 3-course meal, Champagne on arrival and a shared cocktail for just $90 per person. For all reservations and enquiries please contact Sarah on 0412 825 441 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Gazi (2 Exhibition St, Melbourne) – Treat your Valentine to a night to remember at GAZI with the tastiest Greek street food, friendly service and an awesome atmosphere – all under our famous terracotta pots! Gazis special Valentine sharing menu offers 10 delicious dishes, all for $99 per person (excluding drinks). Choose from two dinner sittings – an early two-hour session from 5pm or a later sitting from 8:15pm. Call (03) 92077444 or email reservations@gazirestauran
- The Grand Hyatt (123 Collins St, Melbourne) – Make a Grand gesture this Valentine’s Day when you book a romantic dinner for two at Collins Kitchen. Enjoy a magical evening while you indulge in a decadent four course dinner complimented by Vranken-Pommery Diamant Brut for $179 a head. The perfect way to say ‘I love you’ For reservations call 9653 4831.
- The Hotel Lindrum (28 Flinders St, Melbourne) -Looking for a special way to spoil your other half this Valentine’s Day? Hotel Lindrum offers a 5-course Valentine’s Day Dinner in the heart of the Melbourne CBD. The Valentine’s Day Dinner menu includes seasonal fare served in the intimate environment of felt restaurant. Dinner is $130 a head. All guests receive glass of champagne on arrival and a rose to take home Book by calling 9668 1111.
- The Lui Bar (lvl 55, 500 Collins St, Melbourne) – Bring your date to one of the finest bars in the sky and enjoy a two courses and a canape for $85 per person, For reservations call 9691 3888.
- Nieuw Amsterdam (106 – 112 Hardware St, Melbourne) – Treat your special someone to a 3 course lovers feast! Nieuw Amsterdam is hosting an exclusive Valentine days banquet for $75 pp for 3 courses or $110 with paired wines. Expect to see decedent dishes such as the pork & quail terrine, and grilled lamb rump. Email: email@example.com
m.auor Call: 9602 2111
- Pastuso (19 ACDC Lane, Melbourne) – Looking for a lovely place to spend Valentine’s Day? We’ve got you sorted! Enjoy a romantic Peruvian set menu, which includes a glass of Cava on arrival and a decadent dessert @ $100 per person. Book online here.
- The Press Club (72 Flinders St, Melbourne) – Celebrate the Valentine’s Day in style at The Press Club! Relax in designer ambience, and enjoy our famous Greek hospitality while feasting on a delicious menu created just for this special day. $225, 6 course degustation menu. Early sitting: arrive 6 – 6:30pm (two hours), Late sitting: arrive 8:30 or later. Bookings: (03) 9677 9677 or reservations@thepressclub.
- Red Spice Road ( 27 McKillop St, Melbourne) – FOn this day of romance, the team will be getting you in the mood for love with our specially crafted Valentine’s Day menu. Suitable for the lovebirds, or a group effort with friends and family – Valentine’s Day at Red Spice Road is going to be a marvelous affair! Menu for $89pp and will include a glass of bubbles or tap beer on arrival. Call (03) 9603 1601 for bookings.
- Rendezvous Hotel (328 Flinders St, Melbourne) – Rendezvous Hotel Melbourne Straits Cafe is offering a Valentines Day Three Course dinner with bottomless sparkling wine for $89 per person. Book your ticket and see the menu here.
- Syracuse (23 Bank Pl, Melbourne) – Celebrate Valentine’s Day at Syracuse with an amazing seven course degustation curated by acclaimed Chef Philippa Sibley. On hand for your special evening, our Sommelier, Florian Valieres and his team will guide you to the perfect pair from our extensive beverage list. Dinner is $95pp or $150 with paired beverages. Call (03) 9670 1777 to secure a reservation.
- Vamos (37 Little Bourke St, Melbourne) -Come on down to Vamos for a very special Valentine’s Day Event! Vamos have a Flamenco show for you accompanied by a 6 course tapas meal and a delicious chocolate dessert platter! Tickets include one glass of Spanish sparkling upon arrival! Places are limited so book yours now below. Just $140 per couple. Book online here.
- Bohemian (35 Dukes Walk, South Wharf) – If sangria and Spanish cuisine sound like your ideal date, head down to Bohemian this Valentine’s Day to enjoy a flavoursome three-course meal just like they do in Spain. Available lunch & dinner, devour a tapas platter to share, before choosing out of roasted duck, calamari scallops or lamb neck for main and a cheese selection or trio of desserts to finish. Treat your special someone with a night together sharing Spanish flavours and sparkling city views. $110 per head. Call 9682 0566 to book.
- Fatto (100 St Kilda Rd, Melbourne) – Head Chef James Kummrow has designed a special menu for you to share this Valentine’s Day. Dine in the beautiful Cantina or sit on the under cover terrace, both with unrivaled City skyline views. Enjoy a 3 course menu includes an Aperol Spritz and features some of the Fatto favourites including Spanner Crab Spaghettini and Chocolate Mousse with Vincotto Strawberries. Call 8698 8800 to book.
- Left Bank (1 Southbank Blvd, Southbank) – Book a table on the terrace for two and enjoy the sunset on Melbourne’s premier strip Southbank. $95 includes a romantic 3 Course Menu & a glass of Champagne. Book firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone on 9682 4500.
- Plus 5 (37 South Wharf Prom, South Wharf) – Treat your partner to a night of champagne, oysters and cheese at one of Melbourne’s most iconic waterfront locations. With a choice of two diverse and delicious grazing packages – Oysters or Cheese – guests won’t be disappointed, as they sip on a glass of G.H Mumm champagne. For an ambient and intimate space to celebrate V-Day a little differently this year, head to Plus 5. A bottle of G.H Mumm Champagne & Oysters $99 or a bottle of G.H.Mumm Champagne & cheese board $99.
- Sake (100 St Kilda Rd, Southbank) – Spoil that special someone with lunch or dinner at Saké this Valentines Day. Indulge in a beautiful set menu and glass of Champagne for $110pp. Book online here.
- The Astor (418 Lygon St, Carlton) – Celebrate with your loved one, while sipping on French Champagne and dining on The Astors excellent modern Australian menu. They are offering four delicious courses and a glass of French Champagne on arrival for $85 a head. Book by calling 9347 7419.
- Clever Polly’s (313 Victoria St, West Melbourne) – Want to impress that special someone on Valentine’s Day? Clever Polly are open for dinner from 6pm with our five course menu plus the option to match wines- or choose from the wide selection on our shelves. Call 9077 9294 to book.
- Hellenic Republic (434 Lygon St, Brunswick East) – Spoil your Valentine with a night to remember at Hellenic Republic! Choose from the al carte menu or treat yourself to one of our delicious banquet options featuring a shared menu of mezethes, mains and desserts. Early sitting: 5:30pm onwards, Late sitting: 8pm onwards. Ph (03) 9381 1222 or email: brunswick@hellenicrepublic
- Kumo (152 Lygon St, Brunswick East) – Enjoy a special 7 course dinner at Kumo for Valentine’s Day. Romance your partner amidst the stunning Japanese art-deco inspired dinning room whilst feasting on the sumptuous cuisine for $80 a head. Book by calling 9388 1505.
- Matteo’s (533 Brunswick St, Nth Fitzroy) – Matteo’s has 3 options to help make your Valentine’s day a little bit special. The first option is a tasting menu with wine which is a set menu of 10 small tasting plates served over 4 courses with matched wines for $250 per head or there is the second option of a 4 course mini al a carte dinner for $130 per head. The last option is a plate of 3 desserts to share per couple, a glass of 2007 Le Tertre du Lys d’Or Sauternes each and Happy Lab Lovers Candy to take away & share available after 9.30pm for $35 a head. Click here to see the full menu online and for bookings, call 9481 1177.
- Merricote (81 High St, Northcote) – Its almost Valentines Day once again and Merricote will be open for dinner with a five course menu created by Head Chef Matt Binney to enjoy with your loved one. Five courses $120pp, drinks match available or choose from the wine list. Head to our website to book or call 9939 476
- Panama Dining Room (3/231 Smith St, Fitzroy) -Surprise your partner with a romantically charged evening at the Panama Dining Room this coming Valentines Day. With bubbles on arrival followed by an exquisite 3-course meal. Price is $79 per person. Book online here.
- Pope Joan (77-79 Nicholson St, Brunswick East) – Grab your Adam or Eve and join us for a lovers feast under the stars this Valentine’s Day as Mr Wilkinson stokes the love pit for a special, romantic summer cookout in our very own Garden of Eden. You can choose your own sensual delights or let Mr Wilkinson wine and dine you till you’re practically throwing your clothes off. There will be plenty of shared dishes of the best seasonal produce; you can caress your lover’s hand as you reach for the next bite To book call Pope Joan on (03) 9388 8858 or email email@example.com.
- Rumi (116 Lygon st, Brunswick East) – Enjoy an amazing 5 course set dinner with your loved one at Rumi. Dinner is just $69 a head with an optional drinks match . To book, call 9388 8255.
- Saint Crispin (300 Smith Street, Collingwood) – Valentine’s Day is only a few weeks away. Chef Chris Haydon has designed a special five course Valentine’s Day menu that includes a glass of Champagne on arrival.The cost is $150 per person, to book, call on 03 9419 2202 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Botanical (169 Domain Rd, South Yarra) – Spoil your loved one this Valentine’s Day with an indulgent Four Course Set Menu at The Botanical. Reservations are now being taken for two sittings in their stunning Restaurant Dining Room:
7pm or 7.30pm. 4 Course Set Menu for$85 per person, inclusive of a glass of NV Pommery on arrival. Book your place here.
- Caffe e Cucina (581 Chapel St, South Yarra) – a few days to Valentine’s Day and you haven’t made plans yet? What about some Italian romance to spoil your precious one? The Chef has created a special 3 Course Menu to delight your taste-buds for $115 per person. Call 9827 4139 to book.
- Circa, The Prince ( 2 Acland St, St Kilda) – Spoil the one your care about this Valentine’s Day with an intimate dinner for two. Held in Circa’s iconic dining room, indulge in five tantalising courses designed to entice your Valentine. Dinner is $110 a head and you can book by calling 9536 1122.
- Entrecote (131-133 Domain Rd, South Yarra) – Come celebrate your love in true Parisian style. Four course set menu $99.90 a head or Spoil ton chérie with our exclusive balcony tables overlooking the Botanical Gradens and a glass of Perrier-Jouët Belle Époche for $149.90 per head. Call 9804 5468 to book.
- The Graham (97 Graham St, Port Melbourne) – Join The Graham for Valentine’s Day Dinner. The Graham is the perfect setting We have your Valentine’s Day covered. Great food, friendly service, wonderful atmosphere…. let’s not forget excellent wine selection! Dinner is $120 a head for 4 courses. Call 9676 2566 to book.
- Jardin Tan (Royal Botanic Gardens, Birdwood Avenue, South Yarra) – Share the calendar’s most romantic day in the serene surrounds of Jardin Tan. Ease into the evening with a cocktail as you await the magical Jardin Tan menu offering. Express yourself in an idyllic setting dotted by true French-Vietnamese flavours and visual aesthetics and make this a night to remember. Dinner is $95 a head and can be booked by calling 9021 2111.
- Morris Jones (163 Chapel St, Windsor) – Spoil your special someone at Morris Jones this Valentines Day. Treat them to 4 course with a glass of sparkling for $110 per person. Call 9533 2055 to book.
- Tu Restaurant and Bar (41 Toorak Rd, South Yarra) – La Saint Valentin au Tu – come and celebrate St Valentines at Tu. Special set menu with a glass of Pommery for $80 a head. Lovely intimate dinner for couples, great friends, confirmed singles, the recently dumped, people from countries banned by the US (non alcoholic drinks available 😊) and anyone else that likes amazing French cuisine.
Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité. Call 9867 3725 to book.
- Woodland House (78 Williams Road, Prahran) – Woodland House are getting romantic with dinner this Valentine’s Day.8 courses of delicious, romance-inducing fine dining – sure to impress the loved one in your world. Dinner is $180 a head. Book by calling 9525 2178.
- Barnone (72 Auburn Parade, Hawthorn East) – Join Barnone for a romantic evening in Camberwell’s favourite date venue.
Special offer for the night is a food board for two with two cocktails for $64. Book via eventbrite or call us (03) 9882 1086 to reserve your table.
- The Grand Hotel (333 Burnley St, Richmond) – The Grand has prepared a romantic dinner for two in the Italian style. with 3 courses for $75 per person and 4 courses for $90 per person (menu here). Book by phone on 9429 2530.
- Hellenic Republic (26 Cotham Road, Kew) – poil your Valentine with a night to remember at Hellenic Republic! Choose from the alcarte menu or treat yourself to one of our delicious banquet options featuring a shared menu of mezethes, mains and desserts. Early sitting: 5:30pm onwards, Late sitting: 8pm onwards. Call 9207 7477 for bookings.
- Kritamos Hellenic Cuisine (280 Bridge Rd, Richmond) – the day of love is fast approaching. Book now for a special meal with your special someone. Valentine’s Day banquet- $60pp. Live Greek mellow tones. Complimentary surprise gift upon arrival. Call 9428 2222 to make your reservation.
- Noir (175 Swan St, Richmond) – Fancy a bit of French for Valentines Day this year?Bring your loved one to Noir for a 3 course dinner for $90 a head. Call 9428 3585 to book.
- Salona (260A Swan St, Richmond) – For all you “Food Lovers” out there Salona has the perfect Valentine’s Day planned for you. An 8 course Chef Degustation $69 per head. Call 9429-1460 to book.
- The Boat House (7 The Boulevard, Moonee Ponds) – Spoil your special someone at The Boat House. Dine on 3 course with a glass of sparkling for just $65 a head. Book by calling 9375 2456
- Hellenic Hotel (28 Ferguson St, Williamstown) – Spoil your Valentine with a night to remember at Hellenic Republic! Choose from the al carte menu or treat yourself to one of our delicious banquet options featuring a shared menu of mezethes, mains and desserts. Early sitting: 5:30pm onwards, Late sitting: 8pm onwards. Ph: (03) 9393 1000 or email: williamstown@hellenicrepub
- Junction Beer Hall and Wine Bar (15 Hall St, Newport) – Valentines is only a couple of weeks away and it will be love at first bite in The Wine Room. With the perfect intimate setting for your effortless Valentines. Chef has designed a LOVE-LY 6 Dish Dining Adventure for just $55 or you can treat your special one to our “Perfect Match” Experience which is a 6 Dish Adventure matched with beer or wine for only $89. Call now so you don’t miss out – 9391-8188
- Bangpop (35 South Wharf Promenade, South Wharf) – Swap roses for tequila at BangPop’s Anti-Valentine’s Day Dinner. Gather a group of friends and head down to BangPop from 6pm to enjoy succulent Thai dishes all made with ingredients sourced locally and straight from Thailand. Say ‘no’ to commercialised holidays and ‘yes’ to split bills with friends!
- Freddie Wimpoles (125 Fitzroy St, St Kilda) – Romance not your thing? Freddie Wimpoles hear you and are F*ck Valentine’s Day beach party for the disenchanted. Grab your togs, boardies, tight red one-piece, thongs & cheesy hawaiian shirts and come down to Freddie’s. They have prizes for best Beach Party gear! They got sexy summer cocktails! Plus They’ll be bangin’ out cheesy RnB classics all night.
- Lulu Cafe and Gallery (506 Queensbury St, North Melbourne) – Single? Don’t wanna be? Join Lulu for some slow dating! Learn about yourself and have fun with others. At Lulu cafe & gallery tonight 6-8pm $20 entry, rego via email@example.com with details of name, age, gender, preference
- Madame Brussels Cocktail Bar (3/59-63 Bourke St, Melbourne) – The Madame has declared that Tuesday the 14th February shall be singles night at Madame Brussels so gather all your single ladies (and guys) get a jug or two of punch and start flirting (innuendo welcome)!
- The Moat (176 Little Lonsdale St, Melbourne) – The Moat welcome all and everyone, regardless of relationship status. If you are alone or with friends or even if you are a couple that couldn’t bare having to sit with 20 other couples in a disconcertingly quiet room, this night at The Moat is for you! Tiki bar, Live music, Share fare and Strictly unromantic! Book by calling 9094 7820.
The Botanical invite you to join us for an indulgent winter warmer dining experience inspired by the Lamb, the Goat and their best paired partner, the Shiraz!
For one night only you may enjoy Botanical’s favourite Shiraz from the award winning wine list at up to 50% off.
Wineries such as Torbreck, Henschke, Rockford & many more!
Half way through the year already and the Middle of Winter but Melbourne is still going strong. Not only is it the best time of year for oysters but it’s also truffle season (if you’re a bit of truffle novice, here’s a good place to start). The weather is perfect for pub meals by the fire, roasts and red wine, all things I adore.
This month kicks off with 4th of July festivities showcasing an absolute stunning array of beer, whisky and cocktails, starting from the 2nd and going all through the week, it will be a great chance to try something new over a few hamburger and wings, perfect for this weather, no?
Keeping to the red, white and blue theme, July is also Bastille Day on 14th July, a day for all the Francophiles and lovers of French food and wine. Melbourne being the lovely beast that she is, is blessed with some truly magnificent French restaurants who are pulling out all the stops to make the day sparkle with joie de vie.
The weekend of the 16th and 17th July is given over to the Australian Drinks Festival. Your ticket gives you access to pop up bars, tastings and masterclasses with some of Australia’s foremost experts on spirits, wines and beers. You can also get tickets which allow you to distill your own gin, have a tipsy afternoon tea
The Food Truck Park are heating things up this Winter with a Bollywood themed food truck festival running from 22nd July-24th July. They will be bringing the colour and glam of Bollywood to Preston with dancers, Indian music and classic bollywood flicks playing all weekend on the big screen.
All this cold weather and heavy food can make you feel a little lethargic and out of shape so why not shake it off at a midwinter dance, 30th July in Brunswick East? Money raised from ticket sales goes towards raising literacy levels in our youth. There will be food and drinks for sale on the night including pies from Boscastle and beers from Temple Brewing who have kindly sponsored the evening.
If you think that 6 months is far too long to wait until Christmas or maybe your one of those who have always felt that a hot Christmas day just isn’t right? Why not grab some mates and book into one of the many Christmas in July being hosted around town. Check out a few of them here.
Just putting this here, Bendigo on the Hop is on once again. Yes it is in August (20th August to be exact) but I didn’t want you all to miss out. I made the trek last year and it was so much fun. You can take the Vline up and stay over night, I stayed at The Schaller Studio which is so lovely (bike hire and umbrellas for you to use as you wish as well as free wifi which is as rare as hens teeth in Australian hotels) and made a weekend of it. Bendigo is such a gorgeous place and this event gives you a chance to wander your way around while sampling some fabulous beers. I had such a great time, I am doing it all over again this year.
So I am a little late for my June wrap up of happenings and events? Alas I was bought asunder by the shenanigans of Good Beer Week but am now ready to get back on the horse so to speak which is lucky as there are so many things happening this month, most of which are winter friendly.
Starting from the 6th June to the 12th June is Negroni Week, a week started back in 2013 as a way for people to enjoy their favourite cocktail but also to give back to the community. Each bar chooses a charity of their choice and donates a dollar for every Negroni sold. Last year they managed to raise over $320,000 for charities around the world. As well as straight out Negronis, 1806 and Nieuw Amsterdam are hosting classes on how to make your own perfect Negroni. Find your nearest bar and their charity on Negroni Week’s online map, drink up and do some good.
On the 11th of June, we all get together to celebrate World Gin Day, another one of my favourite days of the year. a day where bars and distillers get together to put on gin events for the people of Melbourne and it’s surrounds. Some of my picks of the day and where I am going to try to get myself to are Four Pillars who are serving pulled ‘Four Pillars’ pork rolls by Burn City Smokers as well as releasing their Bloody Shiraz Gin at their Healesville Distillery. The Gin Palace are hosting a Lunch with West Winds Gin and a High Tea with Four Pillars. Craft and Co are Hosting their first World Gin Day event, releasing their first gin to the public. MGC are hooking up with Bad Frankie for a masterclass on Botanical. Bass and Flinders are showing off their gins by the banks of the Yarra at Pilgrim bar.
If Gin isn’t your thing or if, like me, you’re not adverse to variety, Hawkers Beer are wisely launching their Imperial Stout on the 9th of June. No matter if you drink it, make a casserole with it or bake a cake with it (seriously, chocolate stout cake is the bomb!) stout is the perfect beer for this weather and if Hawkers Stout is anything like their other beers, this one will be a winner. See it launched at The Terminus in Fitzroy North, The Local Taphouse in St Kilda and Carwyn Cellars in Thornbury.
June is also when Wine is Coming with Game of Rhones hitting Melbourne on the 18th June at Meat Market in North Melbourne. Celebrating the grape varieties from the Rhone Valley, as well as beer, cider and food for you to buy on site. Dress code is casual but don’t be surprised if you glimpse a few Westeros cos players in the crowd.
Whisky is getting it’s fair share of a attention this month with Whisky and Alement announcing a fantastic limited addition Japanese Whisky Masterclass on the 26th June, The Nobel Experiment are celebrating women in whisky with a masterclass hosted by Laura Hay from William Grant and Sons on the 29th June and Boilermarker House not only have a tasting of Speyside whiskies on the 28th June but are celebrating their First Birthday as well with $5 shots of Jameson and boilermaker specials featuring the Newstead Brewing Co. X Boilermaker House Rivet Red Ale (with a public holiday the day after this, oh yeah, I’m there).